There is no question that mobile learning is here to stay. According to Emerald Works Research:
- 4% of learners feel it is essential to use a mobile device for training
- 43% of learners believe they are more productive using a mobile device.
- 89% of smartphone users download apps, and 50% of the apps downloaded they use for training
- 46% of learners admit to taking training classes on their mobile device before sleeping
Google states that mobile-only users are now 27%, meaning they use no other device, even a computer. According to Gallup, 71% of Millennials prefer learning using a mobile device and have a better user experience. There are studies suggesting learners complete course material 45% faster than on a computer.
Are you ready to deliver mobile learning?
Whether your content is microlearning, videos, or quizzes, you’ll need to select a mobile learning app before you can deliver it. Think about the definition of a learning management system. Now think of the mobile learning app as an integral part of the learning management system. Together the two provide the most interactive content possible. Although the result makes it look seamless and easy, your mobile learning app partner and the right learning platform are crucial to your outcome’s success.
What are the essential features of a mobile learning app?
The ease of configuring your branded mobile learning app is one of the most important aspects to consider. You’ll want to quickly be able to change colors, logos, splash pages, languages, menus, among other features, without writing a single line of code.
- Resource Catalog: An important feature is your learning resource catalog. The resource catalog is where users can conduct search queries looking for content. Filter the search results by content type, author name, category, and so on. Allow learners to browse an events catalog as blended learning is more mainstream.
- Personalized Learning: Learners require personalized experiences. The personalized learning page designed to view a mobile device well is where learners select resources or view resources assigned to them. If you’re learning platform does not support automatic mobile viewing, the learner may have a poor experience viewing their dashboard. The dashboard is where learners see progress, completion status, and scores.
- Social Learning: is becoming a popular feature. Learners enjoy communicating with peers in discussion groups. A good mobile learning app lets the learner post comments and collaborates with others. A chat feature is a popular requirement.
With social learning, learners can maintain a profile, upload their profile picture, and search for other learners and experts. Social learning promotes a positive user experience by connecting and communicating with others.
Through group collaboration, learners can participate in discussion forums or post questions for the learning community to respond. Social learning provides the support the learners need to move to the next level.
- Gamification: is a popular feature to use with mobile learning apps. Students get rewarded in some manner, such as points, badges, and promotion to the next level to engage with your learning resources or complete learning activities. A leaderboard informs the learners how they stack up to the competition with peers and other learners.
- Native Mobile App Solution: A native mobile learning app can download content for offline viewing. The app should record learner progress or, at a minimum, send the data to the learning management system on the cloud server capable of delivering administrative dashboards and reports.
With the advance in the use of eCommerce in learning organizations, a mobile learning app’s ability to facilitate the purchase of learning resources of courses or enroll in a membership subscription is an important feature.
Mobile learning has become a useful tool for Learning and Development. It helps by catering to all learners, irrespective of their abilities. The main idea is that with mobile learning, you can provide access to your users anytime and anywhere.